Friday, August 31, 2012

The Roasted Brussel Sprout

I am sure some of you saying to yourself, there is a typo in her blog name. I know that!  I actually forever thought it was called Brussel Sprouts not Brussels Sprouts.  It was one of my mom and grandma's favorite dishes at Christmas time. My mom always served them roasted in one of her beautiful pottery bowls that she picked up on Cape Cod many moons ago.  My mom always said it wasn't Christmas without Brussels Sprouts. 
Recently, I rediscovered Brussels Sprouts as a food one Christmas when I was trying to recreate my mom's Christmas meals that I missed so very much (my mom passed away six years ago).  When I was shopping for them in the grocery I noticed the sign, Brussels Sprouts.  Well I'll be darned, all of those years calling it a Brussel Sprouts when it really was Brussels!
They have quickly grown to become one of my favorite vegetables in the winter and through the year when I can find them.  I LOVE them quatered, roasted with a little bit of Wegman's Basting Oil and sprinkled with sea salt.  However, my boys prefer them raw, au natural! These are the same boys that like raw cabbage, okra and turnips (my kids are weird). 
PhotobucketSo the name fits!  It reminds me of my mom and grandma who were two of the best cooks I knew and who both inspire me so much to spend the time creating and working hard to feed my family healthy foods.  It connects my love of cooking with my love of gardening.  And it is a little quirky and different which I kind of like.  So there explains the name. 

 


Boiled Red Potatoes, Rosemary Lemon Chicken, and Roasted Brussels Sprouts

 

Wegmans Recipe for Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe and reviews

2 Tbsp Wegmans Basting Oil  (I used a little less)
Salt (sea salt) and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  1. Toss Brussels sprouts and basting oil together in large bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread in single layer on baking sheet. (I put on parchment paper or foil)
     
  2. Roast on center rack of oven 20-25 min, turning once, until slightly browned and tender when pierced with knife tip.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the food blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The E-cigarettes smok vape suppress addiction to a certain extent smok vaporizers
    and Atomizer vape Smok Nord 2 accessories,as a vape shop,sell all vape tank product near ,check it out"

    ReplyDelete