Thursday, September 13, 2012

Chicken with Cilantro Lime Quinoa

I stumbled upon this recipe, Blackened Chicken and Cilantro Lime Quinoa on Pinterest.  I liked that it was gluten free, used quinoa (instead of rice) and had "nutrient- dense" avocados as an ingredient. Doesn't it look scrumptious! Mmmmmmm!

Ingredients (Serves 2-3)  (from www.sarcasticcooking.com )
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (I used 6 organic boneless skinless so I could save my extra seasoned chicken breasts for enchiladas another night. I suppose I could have tripled the spices, I opted not to because I didn't want my boys to think it was too spicy)
½ Teaspoon of Paprika
¼ Teaspoon of Salt
¼ Teaspoon of Pepper
¼ Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
¼ Teaspoon of Onion Powder
¼ Teaspoon of Cumin
1 Teaspoon of Olive Oil (EVOO)
2 Cups of Low Sodium Chicken Stock
1 Cup of Quinoa
Juice and Zest from Two Limes
A Dash of Salt and Pepper
2 Tablespoons of Cilantro, chopped
1 avocado 
2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
1 cob of fresh corn kernels  (removed from cob for garnish and pinch of sweet crunch)
In a small bowl combine all of the dry spice ingredients.  Season chicken breasts.  Add EVOO to a large pan or skillet and heat over med/med-high heat. Add chicken breasts to pan, brown on each side and cook chicken breasts all the way. 

Rinse quinoa before using (I always give myself a little more quinoa than the recipe calls for b/c rinsing the quinoa always means that some goes down the drain).  Add quinoa and chicken broth to a medium sauce pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce to a low heat until all of the chicken broth has been absorbed. I stir frequently and add splashes of additional broth to prevent browning, sticking to the bottom of the pot and to get the quinoa to the fluffy texture that is preferred.

Add the warm quinoa to a large bowl. Toss in the lime zest, lime juice, salt and pepper, and chopped cilantro. Mix to combine.

Avocado Cream Sauce
Place the flesh from an avocado along with two tablespoons of Greek yogurt in a food processor (I use my DeLonghi Immersion Blender for this) and puree until smooth.  I added a pinch of sea salt, a few pinches of ground pepper and a squirt of lime juice in. 
 


Serve the sliced chicken breast on top of the quinoa.  Top with avocado cream sauce finished with fresh corn off the cob kernels.

Adult Version - served with 1/2 a can of Old Speckled Hen
 
  
Kid version - boys prefer their food separate.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment